Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Day the World (America) Changed

I can hope again, and put away all the anxiety I've had since America didn't deliver in 2004. I am relieved: the chapter that began in Florida in 2000 has not only closed, but hope, honour, and integrity have surged back into America's veins. Talk about an emotional roller coaster ride! Naysayers kept me from being too bold in my hope and predictions, and I had prepared a scathing criticism, which has now been deleted, in the event that McCain/Palin won. Instead, America has accomplished a great feat; McCain said it best, "... his success alone commands my respect for his ability and perseverance. But that he managed to do so by inspiring the hopes of so many millions of Americans who had once wrongly believed that they had little at stake or little influence in the election of an American president is something I deeply admire and commend him for achieving." The honour and grace that McCain delivered his speech with shows that America did it, not just Obama, "... and proved that more than two centuries later a government of the people, by the people, and for the people has not perished from the Earth. This is your victory."

Obama also showed how capable he will be, "There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who won't agree with every decision or policy I make as president. And we know the government can't solve every problem. But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And, above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation, the only way it's been done in America for 221 years ... ." The deep concentration in his face as he spoke about the challenges facing America, made me hope that he takes some time to truly celebrate, though I'm not sure his sense of responsibility will allow that.

He also really struck a chord with me, when he acknowledged the citizens of the world: "And to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces, to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of the world, our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand."

Barack definitely is a Cicero and I expect that many will read and imagine his oratorical and political skills in a few millennia. Welcome to the new dawn.

No comments:

Reverb

Reverb plug-in